Monday, September 24, 2012

Project Strategy: Con-ver-gence








"Paddington is all about convergence"

I found some really insightful articles in the September issue of Brisbane Magazine that talked about the character and identity of Brisbane's inner city cultural hot spots such as The Barracks, James Street Markets, Wooloongabba, West End and Paddington/Rosalie. The article about Paddington included a brief narrative that summarised some of Paddington's unique qualities and destinations. One part of the story that caught my eye was the statement that Paddington was all about convergence with book stores blending with cafes and gallaries merged with espresso bars. I think the notion of convergence can be taken further to include the harmonisation of the affluent and low income residents. How these two demographics can be live, work and play together is the question at hand. I see my architectural entity as the common ground where this convergence can occur and I'm currently thinking about what spaces and architectural devices can enable this strategy.


No comments:

Post a Comment