Sunday, September 9, 2012

WK07 Tutorial Reflection

During the Tutorial I discussed the direction of project two with my tutor Cameron. We established that some of the main challenges of the Paddington Central Site was the densification and gentrification of the area combined with the steep topography. I wanted to further investigate these issues within the context of Paddington and inner city Brisbane while working towards an architectural entity that responded in kind to th e local conditions. I also wanted to explore the notion of 'generous' architecture in response to the thrift sub culture manifest in specialty second hand and antique shops through out Paddington. If the idea of thrift was to stay alive as part of Paddington's culture then these kinds of shops are to be preserved when real estate prices become extremely high in the not too distant future.

I have been doing some post presentation research in order to gain insight into the Paddington retail culture and have found shops like the Paddington Antique Centre to be a rich source of cultural heritage that makes a significant contribution to the suburbs identity. The site was originally home to the Plaza Theatre in 1930 and was converted to an indoor basketball court in the early 1960's before becoming an antique centre in 1985.


ref- http://www.paddingtonantiquecentre.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment