Saturday, August 4, 2012

WK02 Musings: The problem of Infrastructure

After researching ideas and designs for future transport I have begun to make distinctions between the plans that require significant infrastructure expenditure and those that use existing infrastructure or inexpensive additions.

A sustainable transport future should involve technologies that minimise infrastructure investment while providing a flexible and efficient system. Building thousands of kilometers of highways whilst using an abundance of material resources is unsustainable due to the finite nature of raw materials and must be met with an alternative solution at some stage.

ref - http://www.jpods.com/

At first I really liked the idea of the Jpods but then I thought about the problem of infrastructure. The above ground rail system is akin to the old telegraph pole used for electricity infrastructure. The system requires massive expenditure in order to install and maintain the structure which is unsightly to say the least. I am also concerned about the limitations of the design which doesn't seem to cater for large freight which may require traditional rail infrastructure.

No comments:

Post a Comment